Sunday, April 4, 2010

Daytona dive-in and a dirty bike ride.


After a busy work week that tested my patience as well as my immune system I was quite happy to return to home base and get my fingers dirty! I devoted one evening to depleting funds on E-Bay and stocked up on a few essentials for my newest project: a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675. A quick few words on the bike in general, and then a few on mine specifically. The Daytona is a 3-cylinder sex machine on two wheels. A bit different from your common inline 4's, the Daytona's 3 cylinder propulsion pack emits one unique sound. I've often heard it likened to the note on a V-12 Ferarri. Mine in particular is not the finest of specimen of the model year (yet) which received a few noteworthy changes from it's 2008 MY siblings including a greater oil capacity, a 2-3 horsepower increase, and a (not significantly) remodeled front end. My particular model has a highly modified front end; who needs a speedometer, headlight, or straight forks, anyway? I picked up this front-end crash bike from a salvage yard and am putting my creativity (and funds) to the test. I'll pepper some quick pictures of the slowly moving project on here, but I've yet to use this feature so I can't guarantee where the pictures will actually end up! Here is the bike as it was when I got my hands on it.






And now I've really only successfully gotten a key made for it (which currently doesn't open the gas tank-minor problem.) and made it more naked:
Unfortunately I can't do much more work on it until I get the rest of the parts, hopefully over the course of this week. I'm also waiting for a sand-blasting cabinet to come, and I bought an old kitchen oven off a guy in a nearby town in order to do some powder coating. My plan is to powder the triple tree, the rearsets and the wheels all matte black to match the frame. This is partially because i think it would look nice, and partially because the front rim is tweaked and scratched, and needs to be fixed to hold air and not pebbles.
In other news I got out for a quick dirt ride this weekend, which actually ended up being a mud ride, which actually ended up being a fall in the mud ride and probably get water in the airbox/carb as I'm laying in a pile of muck ride. Lots of colorful words ensued. Somehow or another I got it started enough to ride it back to my (poor excuse for a) truck and drive home. It was still pretty darn satisfied to get out and play around in the warm weather we're so happily enjoying now!

There you have it. Look back for more interesting posts re: the D675 project. Hopefully there will be some good results next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment