Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I've been contemplating starting a blog for quite some time. My purpose is simple, but multi-faceted. In an effort to get my new lessons learned in a (somewhat) concrete form, as well as save my friends and family from a bit of what it means to spend more than a few moments with me; and by this I mean the inevitable switch of conversation topic to something related to motorcycles, this space is my attempt at making that an optional part of my life to learn about.

Born out of a simple lack of anything better to do with my time, and matured to adolescence at best as the waining moments of summer breathed their last cool, crisp breaths in fall, my boyish obsession with motorcycles has become ripe and exploding. I've given up trying to figure out why, I just feed it; and well fed it is. But the obsession has turned its shoulder on the immature curiosity of my former 10 year old self and has turned a (very) curious eye towards the inquisitive mind I've developed about the processes that make these machines tick. I have learned at the very least one thing from each motorcycle I have owned, and that is a number that is constantly growing. Each one has its own personality, its own flaws, its own way of speaking to you, and its own way of teaching you. Although the running machine is but a culmination of precisely timed miracles in engineering and science happening at once, it is hard not to feel as though it literally comes to life when you flick the key, wake it up, and kick it over, be it with a snap of your heel or a minute push of the thumb.
Although my interests often wax and wain slightly less seldom than the moon itself does, I've been riding this proverbial two wheeled wave for a while now, and am looking forward to doing so for a long time to come. Just as our species itself does, my interests do evolve, but you can probably count on the fact that all entries here will have something to do with motorcycling or mechanics in one way or another.
As a busy spring approaches I want to thank all who take the interest in my interests, but more importantly I want to thank all of you who DON'T take interest in my interests, and have been relentlessly subjected to them time after time! This is my attempt to relieve you! If you do subscribe to this obsessive subculture as I do, then read on and enjoy. Most importantly, ride safe.

Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment